Tuesday 7 December 2010

Sakura, Hannover Sq - Some like it hot


Dec-6th 2010  £15pp
Apologies for the qualities of the photos. I did not have my camera with me. Took them with my phone.

Eating at Sakura is rarely a disappointing experience.
Ok, service is not the best. However, Sakura is not lying to you and it serves best you what you expect : good Japanese hot food at an affordable price. Sushis are good at Sakura, BUT real Sakura house specialties are hot dishes. I avoid Sushis there on Sundays as it seems (like a lot of sushi bars) they get their fish on Mondays. Frankly, I generally avoid sushis at Sakura (and I am a sushi fan), here I go for the hot dishes.

Next time I come I'll try the Shabu Shabu and Sukiyaki Japaneses fondues. We could not have it this time as the table was two small. Get a table for four ppl if you want that (mention it at the entry).

Now, I tried every kind of Don Buri here (Oyako don, pork don, vegetable don and others...). Bear in mind that the chicken don does not come with an egg on top (too bad because that's yummy). It's not a delicate meal. It's an efficient Japanese meal, for a VERY affordable price. Good affordable Japanese food. I would recommend it without any hesitation.

Pork Donburi (I swear in real it does look more appealing. The white thingy is an egg on top of the crumbreaded pork cutlets which itself is on top of oignons which, in turn, is on top of rice).


Another specialty of Sakura is any soup. Below is an example (a soup with udon noodles and a tempura). I am not a fan of udon noodles frankly, and although I think tempura in a soup diminishes the interest of the soup and of the tempura... BUT this was again en example of Sakura at it's best. Good food, for a small price. Good realisation and they don't lie to you on the food. It's not surprising that many Japanese locals come and eat here. They know what to expect foodwise. Ok, that is true, we waited for the soup to come, but it was delivered with manner and panache :) Don't come here for service, dont come here for atmosphere (there is not even any music). Come to eat and go. And smile, cause your belly is full with proper Japanese food. Like this :) or even that :D


We tried the cold tofu as well. I would not recommend it. It seems where it comes to cold food Saurka is not at its best. Now, I am not a cold tofu fan.


Salmon Teryaki, was plain and simple and a success considering the rapidity the plate was cleaned. We cannot see very well on the photo, but the pinky color of the salmon was almost orgasmic.


more to come anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment