Sunday 12 December 2010

Dishoom, Upper St Martin Lane (Leicester Sq.) - The first of many

Dec-16th £15pp (chicken tikka, naan, lassi, gola and coffee) 

I heard of Dishoom twice. First time was from a work Indian vegetarian collegue. And second from Time Out which spoke of it highly. I often walk about Leicester Sq. area on week end... I passed upon Dishoom yesterday and could not resist saying hello.

I did not expect a bad experience. Rightly so, the experience was very good at every level: atmosphere, service, food, and price. It's almost boring writing this review, as it seems this place manage to be spot on almost everything. There is very little to be criticized. Don't take the negative comments too badly if you never tried the place. My main advice is go there, the sooner the better.

First of all, the atmosphere is nice. Efforts has been placed on this. They also have a big terrace, so why not enjoy it in the summer?

The naan was freshly made. Also, the naan was very thin, not like many Indian places where it is thick heavy bread... Dishoom serves delicate food. Shame they took a bit of time to bring it so it was not VERY hot, just warmish. I would not hesitate telling them next time I go to make sure it comes very hot. They do have the special oven to cook it... So why not having the best possible experience when it is possible to?
Freshly made naan, very thin

Salty lassi was milky and not too thick: how it should be. They put cumin seeds on top of it... for a better experience. Too often places forget the cumin...

Chicken Tikka was very good (again!)... It comes with lemon, coriander and other spice to dispose of the way you most prefer... The guys in the kitchen cooked it in the rules of the art... I never taste a chicken tikka so flavored before. Maybe what I thought was chicken tikka was not... The spices are well right and touches you very softly and spot on. If I could make a tiny little bad comment on the chicken (to be perfectionist cause again it is probably the best I ever had in London) it would be the following: the chicken quality used could be a bit better... but again for £6.80, you cannot possibly expect the top high quality grain fed chicken can you? I found it a (tiny mini little bit) fatty... I hope this comment wont forbid you to try the whole Dishoom experience... cause that's a MUST GO in London. At the very least, try it once next time you think of an Indian.

Chicken tikka, well spiced, good balance.
It comes with coriander. 

I planned to stay half an hour as I had to finish something, but I felt good inside... so I decided to try a dessert. I had a gola. First time I tried that was in Hawaii (they call it shave ice there).  Now, gola and shave ice are the same thing, so I knew how it would taste - sort of... Still Dishoom managed to surprise me...
The ice snow they serve is chunky. Not surprisingly, they serve the two tastes pomegranate and passion. By doing so, they play a bit with your senses and feelings... Indeed, the ice spots could be pomegranate seeds or passion seeds... the metaphor is poetic... and tasty :)

Passion ice gola - the poetic surprise


All in all, you have to try this place.  So, some might say "ok then I can go in 2011"... Well, if you want my opinion, that's too late. Why? They even give you a 20% discount voucher if you go this year to use in Jan or Feb-2011.


Two last things. 1. I would not be surprised if they increase their prices. It seems very affordable for a restaurant of this quality in London. 2. I would not be surprised if more of those cafes opened soon hence the title of the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment