Wednesday 15 December 2010

Akasiro - The cheapest Japanese in town

Dec-12th £6pp (the lunnch menus chicken katsu curry includes a miso soup for less than £6pp!)

Eating Japanese food on sundays in London can be a tricky thing, reson being many Japanese restaurants close on sundays. Last Sunday, I tried my way to Tokyo Dinner. They refused to serve me, invoking they had trouble in the kitchen. I was disappointed... but the good thing is I tried a new restaurant just next to it, called Akasiro.

I was just lucky I went in. I might have found as well the cheapest Japanese restaurant in London.

The restaurant is modest and small (around 5 tables upstairs). Atmosphere is sobre, and simple.
The waitress was very kind.

The menu is not only Japanese, there are some Thai dishes in the menu (such a bulgogi).
I just quite don't get how they manage to make a profit from their prices... Ok, the place is mild, but still, £5.80 the chicken katsu ?!? (the lunch price - in the evening the prices jump). They have to pay the cook, the waitress, the ingredients and the monthly rent with this.
Chicken was relatively light. I wrote ''relatively'' because it is crumbreaded chicken, so if you want something very light, you should not go for this... What I mean is that it was not oily, and rightly crispy. It's a tasty meal and a good surprise at this price.
The chicken katsu curry was fine
I liked the little "mini salad" made it more digest

The sushi experience was not as good and heavy. Maybe, we should not have ordered the volcano roll. The orange sauce (which they call spicy) is way too heavy... The volcano roll is a regular salmon roll which is then deep fried... don't go for this, really.

 DO NOT GO FOR THE VOLCANO ROLL
WAY TOO HEAVY


All in all, Akasiro is an inexpensive substitute to Tokyo dinner. It is even less expensive than Tokyo dinner and the hot meal was very acceptable. What we call a good value for money. Have to go back and taste again the more common sushi rolls to see what they're worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment