Thursday 9 December 2010

Gaylord, Mortimer St - The realm of Lamb

Dec-7th £30pp (including a 660ml Cobra per person and with a 25% off food TopTable offer)

This is my second time in Gaylord. I have to admit, I am not keen on the atmosphere, as I find it too plain vanilla, with no heart and no soul. It is very noisy place as well. Truth to be told, however, Gaylord is, an EXCELLENT place for Lamb. Notice how I wrote it with a capital L. Lamb is cooked with soul, love, tender and care. Slowly, for hours in big pots or casserole (for the saucy dishes). The tandoori lamb is very nice as well, tender and tasty.

Worth mentioning, Gaylord is a middle class Indian restaurant coming directly from India. The same owner has at least two restaurants like this one in India. One fo those is in Mumbai, second is in Delhi. Why is it that you cannot find the website of the Indian places on the internet? Why don't they even market it and mention it on the uk website? Well, Indian restaurants in India almost never have websites. It's worth mentioning though. So we will state it again. Gaylord IS a truly Indian restaurant imported directly from India to London, UK. It's an affordable place in India where you eat good typical Indian food, in a unpretentious way.

I have Lebanese roots. I have to admit during my first experience at Gaylord, their lamb texture (cooked in sauce) and softness reminded me of my childhood's mum's dishes: cooked for hours with love and care. Lamb is cooked so slowly and carefully that it melts in the mouth. Again, it's so soft, you reach an orgasm by eating it. Then, you talk to your friends/date, sip some beer, and take a mouthful again, between two jokes... and orgasm again. Twice in 2min?!? How is that possible? Don't believe me? Go there, order Lamb and see for yourself.

Shahi Gosht and yes, that was lovely. 

Chicken and lamb tandoori


My second experience at Gaylord, although still excellent, was not as great. I won't blame it on my date. It was just that the lamb was (VERY slightly) less tender. Again, the standard of lamb here is great. I would recommend this place. It's a buy. If you can get a TopTable offer, then do. Even better.

One bearish note, they served our food to the wrong table when we were there. That was not great. First time it happened to me in a restaurant. I did not comment on it. I could have, they apologized 20 times...
It wont stop me going again. Also, one of the waiter, unfortunately poured some water on my bag-pack at then end. It's worth mentioning, but these things can happen everywhere even at the Dorchester.

A vegetarian Indian lady I know recommended the black daal. It seems to be a house specialty. I went for it... The daal is very soft and tasty. With the right amount of spice. Get a beer and enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment