Friday 28 January 2011

L'Autre Pied, Blandford St - A cheap one star michelin on Sundays

Jan-10th Sunday Lunch only offer 3 course menu at £29pp for a one star Michelin, without drink

The Michelin family is one of the wealthiest in France. Two brothers Edouard and Andre Michelin, started their tyre company in the end ot the XIXth century based in a city called Clermond-Ferrand. The company became one of the biggest French company, employing thousands of people. You might ask yourself why I start this post talking about the Michelin brothers... and tyres on a food blog. The reason is pretty simple. I want to talk a little bit about the Michelin guide. I believe, the Michlelin guide was published by the Michelin company in order to entice people to use their car (driving all over the country to find the perfect restaurant), hence using their tyre, so they can buy new ones, when they need it...! Quickly, the Michelin guide became a must have, referring exceptional restaurants in very small cities, with fantastic food. Everyone had it in their car in the 90s as far as I remember my childhood. Maybe I come from a family where food is essential.

Michelin has four ratings: no star but mentionned in the guide (that means it's worth some attention). And then one, two or three star ratings (three being the top grade a restaurant could have). Three stars Michelin are rare places to eat, and you expect everything to be pefect, from the atmosphere to the service, not forgetting the food of course. But it takes into account the art of dressing a table as well as the cuddlery used. That's how hard it gets to become a 3 star Michelin...

Now, let's go back to L'Autre Pied and how I heard of it. You probably have read the story of the couple who went in a top class restaurant, then went our for a cigarette and never came back to pay... Well, that restaurant was L'Autre Pied, a one star Michelin. 

When you come in, you get a warm welcome. People care about you here. Atmosphere is good, but make sure you don't sit too far from the window, because then it gets too dark. Try to get a table next to the window. On sunday lunch, it's usually not a problem to sit there, as there is less people than on evenings. Also, you have the whole attention of the waiters on sunday lunch.

What I prefered about this place is their passion about food. That is certainly what suprised me the most. I had the feeling they try to make me feel very special and surprised about their food. They're as passionate about food as I am and answer all the questions you might have about anything in your plate.

Now, the food. The sunday lunch menu is the best deal of this place.

I took the Jerusalem artichoke veloute as a starter. I cannot talk too much about it, to not disappoint your whole experience. Let me just say this: the cook tries to surprise you, and the way he achives that is by adding a few ingredients in the dish which are not specifically mentionned the menu. I won't tell you what it is... It worked on me. The presentation was good, without being fantastic. Just good. And taste was great. It was a rich veloute, with winter vegetables, tasty and made with fresh ingredients, which, obviously, I expected for a restaurant of this standing.

Jerusalem artichoke and hazelnut veloute
It is bigger than it looks, and it did surprise me, in a good way.

The main was the sea-bream. It was fresh, with a very interesting lemon sauce. I personaly would not rate it a one star Michelin. But it was very nice and fresh. And you feel there is some art in the sauce as well.

A bit disappointed by the seam bream
It was nice but not to the level I expected for a one star restaurant
Lot of work on the sauce has been done 

Dessert was the bitter chocolate tart. I am not a chocolate fan, but I was in the mood... it happens from time to time. I can tell you one thing, that was cocoa-ey, flavours were nice and strong in dark chocolate. It was nice to finish on a sweet tone, but not too sweet. That's how French people like their desserts: simple, not too rich, no cream , not extra sweet, just a bit. That was it.

Bitter chocolate tart
I loved that one, strong in dark chocolate - just too small??? :( 

In a few words, L'Autre Pied sunday lunch menu is an affordable experience in a great restaurant. Some people consider it to be one of the best in London. I would not go that far. It's a great restaurant, provided you make sure you have a good table and you go on Sundays for their lunch menu, otherwise, my personal opinion would be it is slightly overpriced for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment